Rules and Regulations
CONDUCT & DISCIPLINE
Students are enrolled at University must recognize their responsibilities towards the faculty, office staff and fellow students. Failure to maintain appropriate standards of conduct will attract disciplinary action.
The University trusts that duty, decorum and discipline are the hallmarks of a good student. Students with such qualities alone can prove to be productive manpower with an appreciable value system. Therefore erring students would be subjected to certain disciplinary code. The following acts, would be deemed to be acts of indiscipline - any overt or covert act leading to ragging and eve teasing, disruption of class room activities or disturbing the studies of other students or marring the operations of the University or its educational activities or harming the health or safety of staff or students or damaging the University property or possession of any intoxicants or illicit drugs or weapons in the University campus, misconduct during examination, production of false information or documents for admission purpose and the failure to return loaned materials or settle debts with the University.
Ban of Ragging
Ragging in any form is strictly prohibited. If any incident of ragging comes to the notice of the authority, the concerned student shall be given liberty to explain and if his explanation is not found satisfactory, the authority would expel him from the university.
The University will not show any mercy to a misbehaving student and would initiate disciplinary action whenever occasion demands. At the time of admission, every student and his/her parent/guardian shall be required to sign a declaration to the effect that he/she submits himself/herself to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Principal and the other authorities of the University.
All powers relating to discipline among the students are vested in the Principal. The Principal may delegate all or any of his/her powers as he/she deems proper to any of the Officers of the University specified by him/her. The Principal's decision shall be the final in all matters of punishment of the students for violation of any of the rules and regulations of the University.
Specific Rules for Student Discipline
- Students are expected to use only courteous and polite language and behave with decorousness with the faculty members and the staff of the University.
- Students shall not talk or act in any manner outside the University in a way that would bring disrepute to the University.
- Students shall avoid using any insulting, inciting, threatening language when talking with fellow students and should abstain themselves from violence.
- The students shall be regular and punctual in attending classes and all activities connected with the University.
- No student is permitted to leave the classroom during class hours.
- The students shall observe strict silence in the class irrespective of the presence or absence of the faculty member.
- Gathering in groups at roads, entrance, exit and pathways is strictly prohibited.
- Students should not leave the class or attend it late under the pretext of paying fees, visiting the library etc.
- Each student of this University must possess Student Identity Card with his/her photograph affixed on it, duly attested by the Principal. The students must compulsorily wear the Student Identity Card inside the University Campus.
- Students are expected to read notices/circulars displayed on the University Notice Board. Ignorance of not reading any notice/circular thus displayed shall not be accepted as an excuse failing to comply with the directions contained in it.
- All vehicles should be parked in the allotted place. Vehicles found parked in unauthorized places shall be impounded.
- While attending University functions, the students will conduct themselves in such a way as to bring credit to themselves and to the institution.
- Spitting, smoking and throwing bits of paper inside the University campus are prohibited.
- Students are forbidden from entering the University office and the staff rooms during unspecified hours.
- Students are prohibited from damaging the building or any other property of the University in any way. The cost of any damage so caused will be recovered from the students collectively if the responsibility for it cannot be fixed on any individual or group of individuals.
- Representation of complaints and grievances may be made individually to the Principal through the Class Teacher concerned or Discipline-cum-Grievance Committee.
- No meeting/function of any kind shall be held in the University premises without the written permission of the Principal.
- No notice of any kind shall be circulated among students or displayed on black boards or on notice board without the written permission of the Principal. No information or report should be sent to press or broadcasting agencies without the permission and approval of the Principal.
- The Principal will deal strictly with students who play a leading part, by organizing or assisting, in strikes.
- The students are expected to take up all assignments, tests and examinations of this University seriously and would try to perform the best.
- Misconduct during examination, production of false information or documents for admission purpose and the failure to return loaned materials or settling debts with the University would be seriously dealt with.
- In this campus various courses are conducted simultaneously and hence, students should observe SILENCE within the campus.
- Ragging and Eve Teasing are considered as crime and strictly prohibited by an act promulgated by the Government of Uttarakhand with the penalty of Rs.15,000/- and two years’ imprisonment. If any student indulges in any form of ragging or Eve-Teasing inside the University premises or outside, he/she will be summarily expelled from the University.
- Students shall come clean, tidy and modestly dressed in University Uniform. Students not in University Uniform would be marked as absent for that particular day. If non-adherence to this rule is reported against a student often, severe action may be initiated against him/her.
- Use of mobile phones within the University campus is strictly banned. Violation of this rule by any student would result in impounding of the Cell phone and strict disciplinary action against the student.
- Students should not involve themselves either directly or indirectly in any form of politics either inside or outside the University during their period of study. If a student fails to comply with this regulation, strict disciplinary action will be initiated against the student which may even result in the rustication of the student from the University.
- Students should attend all classes regularly and punctually.
- Students must be punctual to each lecture hour. Students coming late to the class by more than five minutes will not be given attendance for that period.
- Although the University prescribes a minimum of 75% of attendance, the University insists on regular attendance in all classes. Students are eligible for scholarships only when they earn more than 90% of attendance.
- A student with less than 75% of attendance will not be eligible to write the Semester Examinations of the University.
- Students are not permitted to absent themselves without prior permission.
- An application for leave must be submitted in the prescribed form well in advance or at least a day before the leave is required.
- When absence without prior permission is unavoidable the leave application must be submitted on the day of return to the University after the leave period.
- Even with prior permission, if a student absents oneself, even for a single hour, he/she would be considered as absent for the whole session.
- Absence without leave for even a part of the day will be counted as absence for one day.
- Students without Identity Card & proper Uniform will be marked absent.
- If a student absents himself/herself for three consecutive days without leave his/her name will be removed from the rolls.
- Removal of the names from the rolls shall entail forfeiture of attendance till the date of re-admission.
- In case of any violation of rules and regulations by the student, action initiated against the student may include a warning or a reprimand, awarding a fail mark for an assignment or course, suspension or expulsion from a particular class or from the University, withholding of official documents, withdrawal of campus privileges and any other action which the University authorities deem appropriate at that time.
- The Library has been opened to all the Students, Faculty and Staff of the HGU.
- Readers will not be allowed to enter the library with their personal belongings.
- Readers are prohibited from engaging in any activity which may disturb or distract the attention of other readers and will result in severe disciplinary action.
- No reader shall write upon, damage or make marks on any library book. Each student of the Himalayan Garhwal University will be issued two tickets. A book will be lent to a reader only in exchange of one of his/her tickets which will be returned back to the reader when he/she returns the book.
- Date label and book pockets shall not be tampered with. Serious notice will be taken on any violation of this rule.
- Library tickets are not transferable. A reader who misses a ticket shall follow the stipulated process including remittance of Rs.50 as a fine to get another Ticket. In case he/she happens to get the ticket at a later date, the reader should return the same immediately.
- A reader who fails to return a book on the due date will be charged a sum of 50 paisa per day as fine till he/she returns the book. Such a reader will not be allowed to use the library till the book is returned and fine paid.
- At the end of each semester before receiving the hall ticket, the student should return all the books to the library. Without a clearance certificate (NO DUE) to this effect from the Librarian, the University will not permit a student to write the End Semester Examination.
- The Diploma and Certificate/ Provisional shall be issued to the students only after they return all the books and remit dues outstanding against them.
- A book may be renewed for a further period of a fortnight provided: (a) No other reader has applied for the book in the meantime and (b) not more than two consecutive renewals may be made for the same book.
- In the case of books for which there is an exceptional demand, the period of loan may be reduced to fifteen days.
- The Librarian in exigency may recall any book at any time even if the normal period of loan has not expired and readers are not allowed to sub-lend the books of the Library.
- Dictionaries and books which might be difficult to replace and such other books declared as Reference Books shall not be loaned.
- Readers shall be responsible for any damage done to the books or other property belonging to the Library of the University. If the replacement of the books or other properties is not possible, four times the value of the book/property may be collected from the student concerned.